Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Why Japanese?

I love language. Just, in general. Every language teaches you so much about not only an entire culture, but also about different ways of thinking and particular values and connections to entire peoples in a way you wouldn’t be able to perform or perhaps even know of without experiencing another’s native language (or at least attempting to). This fascinates me, and that’s not even getting into the intricacies of cultural preservation or lingual development, etc. That is a lot of big talk for my only knowing English and French, but, well, I’m working on it (clearly). As for Japanese in particular? First off, I myself am part Japanese (only ⅛, but my great-grandmother is still around, so). Unfortunately, a large amount of my Japanese-American family resides in Hawaii so I don’t see them terribly often, but there’s always been little drops of Japanese culture in my life, from knowing how to use chopsticks since before I can remember to practically being raised on Studio Ghibli films (though those have long since worked their way into American culture, they will never leave any of our hearts) to my mother reading me Japanese children’s stories when I was younger from a book that’s weathered a few generations by now (in English, it should be noted). This all lead up to a foreign exchange program and home-stay I participated in the summer between junior and senior year of high school, where I actually had to pick up the language much much more (as I’m sure you can imagine, staying in a small town in the middle of Hokkaido requires at least a base knowledge of the language to get anything done at all). I’ve lost a lot of it since then, but I figured the first year of college was as good a time as any to try to pick it up again and actually receive a more formal education this time.

At this point we are now four weeks into this First-Year Japanese class, also known as the most time-demanding class in my schedule by far. Though I suppose that should really be expected of any foreign language class, let alone one that uses three alphabets completely unlike our own Latin one. It certainly is and will continue to be a challenging class, but I look forward to it!

8 comments:

  1. Hello. My name is Hayato Murakami. My hobby is listening to hip hop music, and listening to music. Especially, I like to read a comic books. Do you know ONE PIECE? ONE PIECE is famous books of Japan. I recommend you to read ONE PIECE!!!.

    こんにちは。 わたしのなまえは、むらかみはやとです。 わたしのしゅみは、hip hopのおんがくをきくことと、ほんをよむことです。 とくに、わたしは、まんががすきです。
    あなたはONE PIECEをしっていますか? ONE PIECEは日本でゆうめいなまんがです。
    ぜひONE PIECEをよむことをおすすめします!!!。

    I read this blog now. oh! Is your grandma japanese?
    you are very hard worker! thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to visit Hokkaido! How was it? Did you go to hot springs there? I've heard that the ice cream and chocolate cookies (白い恋人) there are famous. Did you try any of them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel you about "the most demanding class in my schedule." I find it so hard to be on time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hokkaido is very cold place. I wish you dont catch the cold! Ther are many delicious food in Hokkaido. I recommend you eat many sea food in japan. However you may not like raw fish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been to Hokkaido once in the winter, the snow and hot spring there was awesome. What about Hokkaido in the summer? I'm actually planning a trip to there again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Nakata Honoka. I’m 19 years old. I’m from Hyogo prefecture. In Ritsumeikan University, I’m in international business administration course. My hobby is shopping and going to karaoke (singing). Nice to meet you.
    わたしのなまえは中田穂乃佳(なかた ほのか)です。19さいです。兵庫県出身(ひょうごけんしゅっしん)です。立命館大学(りつめいかんだいがく)では国際経営学科(こくさいけいえいがっか)に所属(しょぞく)しています。すきなことは買い物(かいもの)にいくこととカラオケにいくことです。よろしくおねがいします。

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool about your homestay! I would love to hear about living in Hokkaido. I have similarly enjoyed learning about the linguistic implications of Japanese culture even in this entry level class.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am part Japanese (1/2) and want to learn the language to connect more with my family that resides in Okinawa, Japan. Since I was little I have always lived with a mix of Japanese and American traditions and so I can relate :)
    This course is very fast passed and I agree that it might be my most demanding class...but at the same time it might be the most rewarding of all my classes because I am now communicating more with my family in Japan more!

    ReplyDelete